ELECTRICAL ENGINEER | GREATER CHICAGO AREA
The purpose of this position is to contribute to the design, development and manufacturing of world class rail products and services vital to our customer's needs through the application of specialized knowledge, skills, and abilities. Work involves independent judgement, decision making, and creativity. Management is available to provie additional guidance for unusual situations.
KEY JOB ELEMENTS
- Performs design analysis
- Develops engineering designs in concert with our design review process from the concept phase through the build cycle
- Implements engineering and manufacturing changes utilizing our established process
- Initiates documents to provide engineering authority and to maintain math data
- Participates in solution of engineering related product problems (Root Cause)
- Provides technical direction to support personnel
- Works with engineering functions, suppliers, plant personnel and others to implement cost reduction, product and methods improvements, resolution of field problems and to support build programs
- Plans and implements tests and / or development programs, including design activities associated with production order support
- Create project plans
- Complete all assignments on time in accordance with the published due dates
- Releases parts for production
- Communicates / coordinates information to and from internal and external customer organizations. To include other (engineering) departments such as design drafting, electrical systems, systems engineering, test / validation, technical inquiry (sales), and program management
- Stays abreast of new technology, competitive products and the potential impact in locomotive design
- Regular contact with others outside the work group
- Travels as required.
- BS in Electrical Engineering.
- Minimum of 4 years of electrical design experience
- Training in college level theoretical and applied mechanics, vibrations, fluid dynamics, physics, metallurgy, electricity, thermodynamics, heat transfer and manufacturing techniques
- Training in computer applications
- High level of analytical ability where problems are unusual or difficult
- Understanding of engineering theory and principles of design
- Knowledge of electrical and electronic components
- Good Oral and written communications skills; follow up work is expected
- High level of interpersonal skills to work effectively with others
- Good organizational skills
- Can support multiple projects
- Conversant with manufacturing processes that become integral to the design process
- Ability to work independently and with others
- Knowledge of computer engineering software & computer applications such as Word, Project, Excel, PowerPoint, and Visio.